You’ve decided that you want to help guide the new Initiates of your Chapter by becoming a Big. First, congratulations for taking on this important role! You may have some questions though, which is totally normal. We have a few tips on how you can have a successful Big/Little relationship:
- Be present. Make sure the time spent with your Little is quality time. Block out all other distractions and focus on what they need to successfully become a Brother.
- Show Support. Keep up with test days, birthdays, Initiate events and projects. Lend a hand or send a quick text to wish them well and let them know you care.
- Be Thoughtful. Drop a mini bag of candy by their door tagged with an encouraging message. Take a cup of coffee to the library during study hours. Send a happy text on a rainy day.
- Give Them Letters. Be the first person to help Brothers show their Phi Sigma Pi pride by making or buying them letters that match their personality.
- Be Open Minded. Try not to force your ideas and traditions on your Little. Listen to their thoughts, questions and ideas about other Initiates, Brothers and the Chapter at Large.
- Be Helpful Make study cards or test reviews to help them learn PSP history.
- Get To Know Them…really. Send a weekly text asking their favorite movie, candy, event on campus, etc. Meet for lunch once a week and talk about things…other than Phi Sigma Pi.
- Be A Big For Life! Do not stop the Big/Little relationship after Induction. Continue to build the bonds of fellowship with your Little and the rest of your family!
What’s the #1 piece of advice you would give someone that has decided to become a Big?
Learning how to communicate with your Little will make your relationship even stronger. Host the Leadership in Action Module The Art of Effective Communication- Exploring Your Communication Style to better relate to those around you. Request the Module.