Regional Conference planning is underway. Do you ever think about the planning that goes into your Regional Conference? Serving as a past Regional Delegate and Regional Conference Advisor, Carlo Basilio, Alpha Omicron ’13, shares his 5 tips to planning a 5 Star Regional Conference.
5 Tips to a 5 Star Regional Conference
- Know the deadlines. – There are many components of conference planning such as setting goals, confirming a date and compiling the registration packet. The 5 Star Regional Conference Guideline helps Regional Delegates stay on track for efficient planning.
- Be creative. – The 2012 Dominion Regional Committee decided to play on the end of the world forecast by the Mayan calendar and made the theme “Brothers ‘til the World Ends.” We had a scholarship event to understand the Mayan calendar, focused roundtable discussions on improving Brotherhood relations and ended the conference on April Fools’ Day.
- Communication is key. – Share your ideas with Regional Delegates and they will do the same. Keep up to date with conference details and encourage your Brothers to attend.
- Chapter support – All the time that Regional Delegates dedicate to conference planning will have greater meaning if the Chapter is actively engaged in the planning process. Greater involvement in planning will build enthusiasm for the conference and even increase attendance.
- Have fun! – Meetings should be productive and fun at the same time. You can’t spell FUN without Phi Sigma Pi – you just can’t.
Regional Delegates work hard to plan a conference that mirrors the National Convention experience. Learn more about your Regional Conference and attend! You will have a greater appreciation of Phi Sigma Pi when you are able to meet Brothers at Regional Conference!
Planning Regional Conferences takes teamwork! Check out the Leadership in Action Module The Team Foundation- Decisions, Decisions, Decisions to practice reaching consensus and focusing on effective team decision-making. Request the Module.