We are now 112 days away from Phi Sigma Pi’s 2016 National Convention (Centennial Convention)! A lot will be happening during our time together at Convention, however, you will have time to explore the city and enjoy some delicious meals on your own. Therefore, we want to highlight some of the great places to grab food, have fun and relax in Kansas City.
If you choose a Full or Full Plus Registration, you will be responsible for at least five meals on your own… this means five opportunities to check out the cool restaurants around town! Here’s a few places that you MUST check out in the Power & Light District (the area our hotel is located in):
- The Mixx– Locally owned and operated, The Mixx offers the freshest ingredients for a variety of creative concoctions for breakfast and lunch.
- No Other by Sporting KC– This is a one-of-a-kind sports restaurant and social lounge and is the premier destination to watch sporting events including all home and away matches for Sporting KC (Major League Soccer team).
- The Dubliner– Dine on traditional, upscale Irish fare and unwind with some live entertainment on the weekends.
- Balsano’s Gelato Cafe– Locally owned and operated, Balsano’s Gelato Cafe specializes in freshly made gelato and also serves breakfast, gourmet sandwiches and coffee all day.
- Drunken Fish Sushi Restaurant– Sushi anyone? This hip and exciting dining experience is comprised and representative of world-class Japanese cuisine and lifestyle.
- Cosentino’s Market Downtown– Downtown KC’s first grocery store features more than 45,000 products as well as on-the-go cuisine, an 83 foot salad bar, bakery and gourmet cheese island.
Thinking of traveling to Kansas City early/staying longer or looking to fill some holes in your Convention agenda? Here a few suggestions of ways to have fun!
- Alamo Drafthouse Mainstreet Cinema– Sit back and enjoy a movie (and a meal!) at the Alamo Drafthouse. Movies to be released in July, 2016: The Legend of Tarzan, The Secret Life of Pets, Ghostbusters and Star Trek Beyond!
- Rooftop Park- With some of the best views of Downtown KC, lush landscaping and plenty of room to stretch your legs, this park is located down the street from our hotel. The park is open daily to the public from 8am until dusk.
- Animals!- Meet a few furry friends at the Kansas City Zoo or swim with the fish at Sea Life City Aquarium!
- The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception– This beautiful Cathedral is the oldest worshiping congregation of Kansas City, dating back to a log cabin church in 1834. Take a free, self guided tour to learn about and enjoy the architecture, stained glass windows, gold dome and more.
- Zafar Salon, Spa and Boutique– Why not enjoy a nice massage or facial treatment after Grand Chapter or get your nails painted purple & gold? Zafar is a true urban oasis in the Power & Light District.
Pro Tip: Remember, you don’t have to spend money to have fun with your Brothers! Though we encourage you to go out and enjoy the city if you can, there will be a ton going on with Convention and in the hotel. So don’t worry if your budget is tight!